Happy Labour Day weekend folks!
Here’s hoping you actually have a full three day weekend…if not, you better get cooking because these picnic recipes are perfect for frolicking through fields and parks and all other idyllic picnic locations [enter image of Julie Andrews singing “The Hills are Alive” here].
Seriously though, America knows how to kick back with good food and her loved ones, so this post is intended to give you plenty of dishes for a perfect holiday excursion.
Your picnic staples:
1. Protein. Everyone gets cranky if they’re not sufficiently full, so you need something substantial.
2. Greens. Because they’re essential even if you were one of those kids who got away with not eating your broccoli.
3. A carb. Whether it’s bread or potato salad or pasta, carbs aren’t really from hell. Everything in moderation people.
4. DESSERT. Unashamed about this being my favourite part.
5. Classy beverages. Self explanatory.
Picnic option #1: Dinner
I always visit the blog Ali Does it Herself. This spunky gal knows how to make you laugh and she makes really yummy chicken. This is one of my favourite recipes from her and it travels oh so well!
(Ali’s final product on a recent camping trip)
All you need are 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, lemon juice, water, olive oil, sugar, salt, butter, tarragon and some shallots. Plus you can freeze this and pull it out later if you absolutely can’t picnic this weekend.
Gimmesomeoven has beautiful salad presentations. Get on board. For real.
Alternatively, here’s their 5 ingredient strawberry caprese salad
Picnic option #2. Lunch/finger food
Here are two simple veggie choices.
The bread: I would just pick up a nice french loaf from your local bakery or grocery store. Trader Joe’s has a wonderful selection of bread and honestly, there’s something very Provencal about tearing off a crusty hunk of dough. Partner it with a rich cheese and you’re ready for European picnic time.
Desserts in jars are popular right now and ideal for picnics.
Have a wonderful labor day everyone! Take pictures and be sure to #cayisa so we can see what you’re up to!